In the windy, rubbish-strewn plaza outside Euston station stands a statue of Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), railway and civil engineer.
Robert Stephenson (1803-1859)
This bronze statue used to stand in the Great Hall of the original Victorian station. It was made by Baron Carlo (Charles) Marochetti in 1870. It was presented to the London & North Western Railway by the Institute of Civil Engineers. It is described as “Bronze statue of Robert Louis Stephenson in contemporary dress and holding partly unfurled plans. Red granite pedestal with inscription recording his dates of birth and death”. HISTORICAL NOTE: the statue formerly stood between the two entrance lodges in Euston Square (qv), and with them is the only survivor of the formal 1870 layout which, with the Doric Arch, was destroyed in 1969.